MOTHERS HELP OTHERS - COASTGUARDS AND MUMS

Mother’s Day is a chance for mum’s to put their feet up, relax and be spoilt for a change, even if it doesn’t always work out that way. 

But if you’re a Coastguard Rescue Officer you will never be far from your pager, ready to respond to the call for help.  No matter what time or what day it is, even if you’re a mum on Mother’s Day.

On being a Coastguard and a Mum, Susan Simpson from Arbroath Coastguard Rescue Team (CRT), Julie McFadzean from the Isle of Muck CRT, Emma Rance from Kimmeridge CRT, and Hollie Jeffery from the Bexhill CRT say this in their own words.

Susan Simpson, Coastguard and Mum.
Susan Simpson in a Sea King SAR Helicopter and in yellow
with her team mates
“Being a coastguard rescue officer is something I am immensely proud of. To be able to help others in their hour of need is a great reward.

As a single mother to a six year old girl it is important to me to show her how helping others is something we should all do more of. Of course it is hard when you get called out at times that you want to be at home with your child but it is for a very good reason and my daughter, although she is only 6 understands what I'm doing and is proud of me for doing so.

I find that being in the coastguard I am more aware of the dangers around us and that I pass this knowledge to my child. Living on the coast I think it’s extremely important that we educate our children on the dangers. My daughter is more aware of these things than that of other children her age.

Being a mother is a juggling act at the best of times but I feel strongly about my reasons for being a Coastguard and a big part of that is my daughter, so finding a balance isn't really all that difficult. There is no better way of teaching than leading by example.

I can remember an occasion when my daughter was three she was playing with her toys when she suddenly stopped, grabbed her toy phone and was having an imaginary conversation with someone and repeating ‘yes’ and ‘ok’.  She put the phone down, turned to me and said that was the Coastguard paging and that she had to go help someone because they were in danger and then ran off to her room.

That really made me smile and from that I know that those times that I have to leave or cancel plans isn't causing stress to her but leaving a lasting impression and teaching her to think of others.”

Julie McFadzean, Coastguard and Mum
Julie McFadzean with her daughter on the Isle of Muck
“I live and work on the Isle of Muck, the smallest of the small Isles. We have a population of about 40 people, which easily doubles in the summer with visitors.

I have four children and my eldest daughter at 20 works away from home now, and my two boys aged 17 and 11 are at school on the mainland and visit either during the holidays or every other weekend.  I also have a wee girl of eight who attends school on the island.

I run a bed and breakfast and also work in the school nursery. I also volunteer as a community first responder as well as being the Deputy Station Officer for the island Coastguard Rescue Team.

As a small coastguard rescue team we work well together, and word gets round quickly if there is a call out. I have a nominated person to care for the children but everyone is willing to help out at the drop of a hat, and the children are always happy to go and have cake at someone else's house.  It gets easier to get up and leave at a moment’s notice and be available for training as the children get older, and I would like to thank everyone who is willing to look after the children at the drop of a hat.

Most of our work is search and rescue and in the summer it’s not unusual to have the two bays full of visiting yachts, diving teams and tourist boats. A large part of our work is with the lifeboat and helicopters assisting in medical evacuations from the island.

We give sea safety talks to the children on the island and because of the size of the island, they are often aware of the work the coastguards are doing, I hope this gives them a better understanding of the dangers of the coastline and sea and will help encourage them to keep safe when they are playing on their kayaks, wee boats and swimming in the sea.


I really enjoy being a member the team and I am pleased that my eldest son is keen to become a volunteer coastguard.”

Emma Rance, Coastguard and Mum.
Emma Rance just hanging out with her team
“I've been a Coastguard Rescue Officer for over eight years with the Kimmeridge Team.  I live and breathe the coast in my personal life and career so my role fits perfectly with my passion for caring not just for the coastline, but for people’s welfare there too. 

Mother’s Day is just another day in the Coastguard Rescue Service – we are there to care 24/7 in all weathers.  Although my home life gets put on hold each time I attend a shout, my family understand the needs of others at that time, and are supportive. 

My daughter has even said she would like to follow in my footsteps one day!” 

Hollie Jeffry with Paige and her team
on Remembrance Sunday
Hollie Jeffery, Coastguard and Mum.

“Being a coastguard and a mum is a juggling act....perfected over time with the help of a supportive team and family. 

Paige (my daughter) loves getting involved with my work and is very proud of what I do.”






To find out more about the role of the Coastguard Rescue Service click here.





Popular posts from this blog

Challenging rescue at popular Cornish climbing spot

Teenager rescued after sand hole collapse

Label your kit at the coast